South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital among the top hospitals nationally for Joint Replacement according to Healthgrades
San Antonio, TX (October 29, 2021) – South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital is one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement and the only hospital with this recognition in San Antonio according to new research released by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.*
The hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement have demonstrated exceptional quality of care. From 2018-2020, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award have, on average 64.9% lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.* Additionally, patients treated at hospitals which did not receive the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award have, on average 2.85 times more likely to experience one or more complications in the hospital than if they were treated at hospitals that did receive the award.*
“Consumers can feel confident in the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes. The recognition helps provide peace of mind when selecting a place for care,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science at Healthgrades.
“The physicians and staff at South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital are proud to receive this award from Healthgrades. We continue to practice safe, high quality medical care to provide the best outcomes for our patients. Our core values and desire to succeed have never changed. Achieving excellent outcomes requires commitment and dedication from the entire health care team. The leadership and culture at this facility enable us to achieve our goals and push us to improve on a daily basis,” stated Joel Jenne, M.D., Chief of Staff at STSSH.
South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ for 2 Years in a Row (2021-2022)
- Five-Star recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 6 Years in a Row (2017-2021)
- Five-Star recipient for Total Hip Replacement
- Five-Star recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 10 Years in a Row (2013-2022)
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
About South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
Surgery Partners has partnered with local physicians to establish South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital (STSSH). In this partnership, the physicians assist in the management of the hospital, resulting in a hospital solely run for the benefit of the patient. This innovative approach creates an integrated and holistic approach to healthcare. As a nationally recognized center for spine and joint care excellence, STSSH takes pride in providing the highest quality clinical care in a one-on-one, warm and caring environment. STSSH is a BlueCross BlueShield of Texas Blue Distinction® Center+ in spine surgery and Optum® Center of Excellence in spine and orthopedic surgery. For additional information, please visit www.southtexassurgical.com, follow us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn or like us on Facebook.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2017 through 2019. Due to the highly variable impact of the pandemic on hospital outcomes, Healthgrades made the decision to exclude cases with a COVID-19 diagnosis from the 2020 data in order to preserve the statistical integrity of our models and fairly evaluate clinical outcomes at all hospitals. To view the complete methodology, please visit: https://www.healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology